Diesel Scouts

While looking for a Scout project here in NY state I have come across a
Scout Pickup.

The truck is in fair condition with some rust in the floors, rockers,
and front fenders.  It also needs the bed patched.  The truck has spent
a minimal amount of time sitting outside, as it was a shop truck.
Nights and weekends in the shop ect.

Its an 1980 with the Turbo Diesel.  I wanted to use a scout as a tow
vehicle, so how does the Diesel stack up against a V8 for towing???

Truck would be used to pull a 16 ft car trailer with various other
projects on it.  GVW of the trailer is about 7500 lbs.  I am presently
using a s10 Blazer to pull this, and even with Class 4 hitch with
equalizers I don't have quite enough truck.

The pickup will certainly weigh more, but will it pull this kind of
weight say 6,000 to 7,000 lbs.  Or should I hold out for a Travelall or
better yet one of those 10,000 GVW 1500 pickups.

Oh yea the pickup has a removeable hard top, is this standard on
these???

Thanks for the feedback

--
Bob