Yank's starter woes

Chris posted:

>To me, if you had an occasional wiring short it would blow fuses, and
>turning the key a couple of times certainly wouldn't cause the short to go
>away.  Instead it seems like the starter IS getting the current but isn't
>turning over.

>Since you've replaced said starter (and solenoid?), then I think you have
>mechanical binding problem.   Maybe you need a starter shim?  What's the
>history of this truck?  Could a DPO have left it out?

Chris,
I was thinking it was more of a mechanical problem also. The large current
draw seems like something is in a bind. Yes, the starter and solenoid were
replaced about a year ago, along with about all the other starter related
parts.I don't remember a starter shim being there when I replaced the
starter. Both of my Scouts have auto trannys and neither has the shim that
I can recall. Would a mechanical problem/missing shim cause an intermittent
problem? Or do you think the starter is crapping out?

Yep Dan, I replaced the switch on the column.

Thanks for responding,
Yank