Re: I run Aluminum

Message text written by John A. Landry
>Let me get this straight... your dealer told you not to bother trying to
run aluminum wire through your MIG even *with* the optional Teflon liner
for the cable and the special feed wheels?  This seems strange.  I have a
Century MIG and haven't tried pushing aluminum wire (haven't had the need
to weld aluminum yet), but I could have sworn I've read posts in the
rec.crafts.metalworking newsgroup by folks saying they do it.  I've always
understood the lack of amperage for welding aluminum was the biggest
concern with these small machines... not the feed.  To be sure you can't
bend the cable into a 2" radius and expect it to feed soft aluminum wire,
but if you keep the bends easy and use the mandatory Teflon liner and
special feed rollers, it's supposed to work adequately.<

John,

Exactly, they said I would be very disappointed with the results.  Now,
keep in mind these people are dealers to the welding trade not the
occasional user like myself.  I'd probably be satisfied with a situation
that'd drive a professional up the wall.

My Hobart manual says feed rolls, liner and tip required plus argon gas.
.035" wire to weld a maximum of 1/16" aluminum.   Somewhere else I saw a
chart of wire size versus metal thickness and .035 wire is thicker than
normally used on 1/16" material.  So the .035 wire obviously is used for
stiffness in pushing.  In theory it should work, but I'd still like to talk
with some one who's actually done it.

thanks,

Doug