Re; Scout 800 frint disks

Message text written by Bill Wisser
>I am a fellow 800 owner and noticed you wrote to the IHC digest that you
run front (unpowered) disks and rear SII drums.  If you have the time
and the inclination I would love to hear how and for how much you
accomplished this.  I know Gryphin Racing sells a kit for $800+ and
someone mentioned that I put a SII D44 axle in front, but that would
need some heavy modifying to fit the frame.  I would really appreciate
hearing your story if you have the time.<

Ok, here goes.  First off you need backing plates off a 75 Chev PU.  these
have the same 6 bolt mounting as your current front brakes.  Note the Scout
II disc backing plates use 8 bolts, so won't work.  Calipers from Chev,
also.  Hoses, too.

Then you need Scout II disc hubs.  About $50 each from Giddem Up Scout.
Scout II rotors, I've read about people paying as little as $50, new.
Maybe some one on the Digest knows the source.

 I used spindles off a drum brake Scout II and Scout II wheel bearings.
Since then I've been told your existing spindles will work, just put your
old wheel bearings into the Scout II hubs.   My way needed a little extra
machine work, but I didn't know any better.

When you assemble everything, you'll notice a little grinding or machining
needs to be done on the knuckles to clear the calipers.  It's very obvious
where you need to create some clearance for the caliper.

I used the stock 800 master cylinder.  You *MUST* remove the residual
pressure valve from the front brake line.  It's a little spring and rubber
thingie under the big nut where the line comes out of the M/C.  If you
don't take this out your discs will not release, believe me, I know.  The
Chev hoses fit right up to my hard lines.

Let's see, about $75 for the Chev backing plates and calipers used,  $100
for hubs,  maybe $125 for rotors.  Around $300+.    I know Gryphin charges
more, but he only uses brand new components, probably a new M/C, too.

This is kind of the quick version, but I don't think I've left anything
major out.  Feel free to ask any questions.

It's not a difficult conversion.  You'll be surprised how nice your rig
stops with those discs.

Doug