Re:To start an Scout/IH related business or not.

Dear IHC Digesters,

After reading recent posts about someone starting a IH/Scout parts business,
I began to reflect on this and I came to realize that it sounds like there is
not enough folks out there providing parts & service for IH Scout & Light
Trucks. Could this be true? The following short list should answer that
question and also may raise an issue that many folks may not have considered:
There are a number of folks who depend on sales from the IH community to make
a Living for themselves. The employees and their families also depend on
sales from these same folks. Many of these key companys also re-invest most
(if not all) of thier profits into providing more and more parts for the IH
Community.
Here is just few Scout/Light Truck IH companys who handle (or who have
handled) related parts and such: (in no particular order) Scout/Light Line
Distributors,Inc.(OEM), Giddum'up Scout, Super Scout Specialsits,Inc. Mr
Scout, Scout Connection, Scout Madness, Anything Scout, AT Scouts, Binder
Books. Scout Pro, Scout Master, Outback Parts, Light Line of La, Back County
Binders, Vance Garage, Bergman Bros., Scouting Parts, Cash Auto, C & W Auto,
Rengers Sales & Serv., Scout Source, Scout Supply, Franks Salvage, Nortex,
East Coast Scouts, East Coast Scout Parts, Circle S Welding, Bisio Motors,
Scout R Us, Scout 2 You, Rob's Scout Parts, Vintage Int'l, Scout Store,
Federal Valley Motors, Stevida's Harvester, Scouts Forever, Scout Supply,
Farleys Scout Parts, Scott Automotive, IH only (North & South), Isa's IH,
JESCO, Auto Spa & Resto, Mcfarlin Diesel, Gryphin Auto, Kentrol, Howteron
Products, Coonrod's Ih, Down Valley Scout, Scout Em Out, Suburan Classics,
Pat Walsh Resto, Dennis Carr's Ih, Russel Rice's Ih, Jonathan Shenian Ih Pu &
Ta, Nollenburger/George Mitchell, Bryant Motors, Cheyenne Bumpers, Scout
Paint & Body, K-Bar Products, Black Dawg Scouts, Jock's Service, Scout City,
Bully Bumpers, Tabor's Auto Serv., L&M Battery Co., Plus many other Navister
Int'l Truck Dealers still active & etc., etc., etc.

As the population of these vehicles decline from Scrap programs, Salvage, or
just plain age, I fear & expect that most of these company's will not survive
and will either move on to other product lines or close entirely. I think it
is fine for most IH entuisust to collect and part out a few IH Vehicles for
themselves and others, but to start a business at this stage in the game; I
am not sure that this a very good idea considering the number of companys
that are already established and are struggling to make a go of it.

John Glancy,
SLL,SSS, &  NATS'99