Re: Extended shackles

Howard,

<< Why do you need the extended shackles for the anti-sway bar, since it
came with the stock shackles, or am I missing something?>>

Last year I found that the front shackles had elongated holes, which I'm
pretty sure isn't factory ;), so I put on the old ones that had been on the
back springs (from the factory) until I had taken them off to put on extended
shackles on the back. I hope that's clear.

<<Anyway, I don't think an inch or two of shackles will make a significant
difference.  You will decrease your already minimal caster because you
will be rotating the rear of the axle up slightly which decreases the
caster.  I think you will actually decrease the front U-joint angle a bit
as the diff should tip up more than it drops down as I think the rear 1/2
of the spring that the axle will rotate around is shorter than the front
driveline (at least I picture it that way--if the driveline is shorter,
then the U-joint angle will increase) >>

I was thinking (can be dangerous) that the diff wouldn't rotate from the
extended shackles, only the frame would rise. I visualized that the distance
from the ground to the bottom of the shackle would stay the same, no matter
how long the shackle is. Since the diff wouldn't be rotating, but the frame
would go up an inch or two, the driveshaft would angle up more, thus a
greater pinion to driveshaft angle.

STeve