Re: Extended shackles

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999 11:35:51 EDT ScoutIIMan@domain.elided writes:

>OK, now I've got a technical question for the suspension gurus out in IH

>land. I have some extended shackles that are for the front of my 74
Scout II.
>I haven't put them on before because, one, I like the nose down
attitude, I
>didn't want to mess up my tracking. Well, I'd like to put the flat bar
on
>(anti-sway bar) so I need these shackles. If I put them on, it shouldn't

>change the caster, but will increase the driveline angle a little bit,
right?
>Will it do anything negative to my tracking/steering, etc?

Why do you need the extended shackles for the anti-sway bar, since it
came with the stock shackles, or am I missing something?

Anyway, I don't think an inch or two of shackles will make a significant
difference.  You will decrease your already minimal caster because you
will be rotating the rear of the axle up slightly which decreases the
caster.  I think you will actually decrease the front U-joint angle a bit
as the diff should tip up more than it drops down as I think the rear 1/2
of the spring that the axle will rotate around is shorter than the front
driveline (at least I picture it that way--if the driveline is shorter,
then the U-joint angle will increase)

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]