Midwest Classic

Friends,

   Rose & I made the trip to Burlington IA for the 99 Midwest Classic this
past weekend.  We loaded up the 1960 Travelall and headed for Burlington on
Friday afternoon.  We met up with Roger, & Mindy McGregor in DesMoines, IA,
and convoyed the rest of the way together.  The Travelall made the trip with
no problems except a bad ground connection on one of the rear tail lights.
We drove between 65 & 70 mph all the way, and averaging around 15 mpg

   There were over 50 Scouts, pickups, and Travelalls registered for the
show.  There also was a 1912 auto buggy owned by Dick Vance, and 2 15hp Mogul
stationary engines owned by Ted Stein.  It was a real treat to watch the
engines pop and come to life after a tug on the monsterous flywheel.  One of
our favorites from the show was a '54 Travellall owned by Bob Mossemer.

   There were 5 Diesel Scouts, and a '74 Travelette with a 6.9L Diesel engine
& transmission transplant done by Scout Connection.  The Diesel Scouts had a
good time in the Slow Drag competition with Mike Bolton's 1980 Scout taking
the honors for being the Slowest Diesel there, even tho Mike's 17 year old
son Tom was at the wheel for the race <g>.

   The weather was great for the entire weekend, and a great time was had by
all.  Roger & Mindy got 2nd place with their '51L120, and the cow horn was
alot of fun during the parade, and Saturday night's dinner cruise.

Eldon & Rose McFarling
Ceresco, NE
IH DIESEL PAGE
http://members.aol.com/EldonMcf/