Sheet Metal

Jim,
   I've replaced the floors in my scout, and I think you'd best do the
repairs one step at a time!  The crucial thing is to brace the scout so it
does not sag during any of the operations.  I'd start with the rockers.
Plan on replacing the inner and outer both, one side at a time.  Then the
cab support if you've got enough metal left around to do that, then the
floor.  Rocker, rocker, support, support, pan, pan.  I can't stress how
important it is to support the FRAME during the replacement process.  Each
of the parts you mention play a part in the structural support of the cab.
I did not pay enough attention to the advice from the digest and had a small
chip in my window expand to a mean looking crack as the cab flexed during
cut out.
I ended up using 4x4 timber and jack stands along the frame of the truck.
Drilling out the spot welds on the pans was the longest part of the process.
Invest in a good spot weld cutter with plenty of spare blades!  We plug
welded the pans back in.  I think seam welding would be faster, but plug
welding produced a GREAT fit, solid mount, and we did not have to worry so
much about buckling the metal.  I should mention that a friend who is an
accomplished welder actually did the 'arcin and 'sparcin.  I'd recommend
this method for the pans.  YMMV.
    I purchased my pans from one of the LL venders at the NWBRU (SSS?) last
year and was VERY pleased with the fit.  Think around 100$ for the pair but
don't quote me.  With the floors out I took the opportunity to blast the
frame and coat everything with coroless from Eastwood, then primed with
DP90.  That's on top of brush on seam sealer from JC. Whitney.  Usual
disclaimer applies.....No financial interests yada..yadda...
Remember these three words: BRACE THE FRAME!

Good luck, and if you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Mike Stenstrom

>IH Y'all,
>  I finally scrapped all the floor mat out of the Scout and have found even
>more rust then I thought there would be. Heres my problem I need to replace
 -snip-

  Later,
Jim Hannon
78' Scout II in need of TLC