My 392 - IT LIVES

<VBG>

After disconnecting the exhaust, pulling the distributor and valve cover,
finding TDC and setting static timing a dozen times or better.. lots of
backfiring and spitting.. recharging the battery a time or two.. blah
blah blah.

It's finally running.

I read the firing order off the intake and double checked my wires DOZENS
of times.  I *swear* I looked at the '72 304 in my Scout II to get the
proper direction of the wires.. two or three times.

Mom came out to ask if I'd watch my newborn niece while she and my sister
went to the store.. "Almost, mom.. gotta hear it run.. WHAT is wrong.."

It was spinning easily, coughing now and then.. but still blowing flames
out of the carb now and then.  Mom said, "Sure you have the wires on
right" "YEAH, about FIFTY TIMES!" as I re-checked the wires *again*..
"Sure you have the right direction?"  "Well, yeah.. well, I'll check again.."

This time I grabbed my '72-79 Chiltons Truck book.. looked at the IH
engine firing order.. yep, 1-8-blah blah.. OH #%@!  Run over to the
Travelall and look.. yep, #8 was where #8 was supposed to be, and the
wires were in order.. BUT THE WRONG DIRECTION.

Turn the wires around (after I worked so much to get the "#1" cap marking
to be #1, it's now NOT #1.. I'm not yanking the dist out again!).  Oops,
crossed two in the process.. OK, got that...

Climb inside, turn the key.. VRRROOOM it comes alive.  Raspy sounding
since the exhaust is disconnected (need two donuts now..), but running.
Give it some gas.. picks up and runs better.  TOO COOL.

Has a flat spot i found.. stalled it.

Looked under the hood again.. fuel or something everywhere.. oh yeah, the
fuel pump is still attached to the one forward stock tank.. rigged a hose
to a bucket.. fire it up again.. Yee-haw!

Oil pressure (mechanical aftermarket gauge) reads 25psi at idle.  Rev it
some to 40psi.

Played for a few moments more.. shut 'er down.

The stuff in the bucket almost resembles fuel.. ;)

Suggestions on getting it OUT of the tank?  I thought of just running the
motor off the gas can for a while and pumping it out.. but I run the risk
of garbage in the tank eating the pump up, right? (It sat for at least 5
years w/o a gas cap on the forward tank)

Alternator and Ammeter work.. heavy charging! ;)

Now that it runs.. flush the gas tank, flush the cooling and attach,
reconnect the exhaust.. and then see about changing the oil n' such (and
make sure it'll move under it's own power..)

*THANKS* to everyone for their help.. had I just hooked the wires up in
the right DIRECTION the first time, I bet it would've fired right off.. d'oh.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 Travelall 1110 with a RUNNING V392!!!