My 392

More work on the 392 tonight..

Bought a new PVC valve and hose.. tried to install it, but it doesn't fit
very snugly and easily comes out.  I used a round cylinder w/o a
"nipple".. and still can't get the "nipple'd" version in if I wanted to.

Tried to plug up any other vacuum leaks I could see.

Pulled all 8 spark plugs and replaced with 9 new ones I had on hand (yes,
nine new plugs handy - and I broke one plug, behind the power steering
pump, on installation so I needed the 9th)

Old plugs were pretty nasty looking.  OK, so maybe it was plugs..

Left #8 out and turned the motor around (with a friend) until #8 stopped
pushing air out.  Rotor was pointing at the water pump bypass hose, just
like I had thought.  #1 cylinder was already attached to it.

Replaced another spark plug wire when I changed out the plugs.

Used a bungee cord as a throttle return spring (good idea, Peter. <g>)

Went to fire it up.. still won't run.  Spits, coughs, belches.. but won't
run.  It has gas.  It has spark.  We changed out the coil for a new Accel
I had handy.  No change.  Pulled a plug (the new 'ones) and found gas on
it - it has fuel.  Hooked the spark plug wire up to a "spark tester" I
have - yup, got spark.

When I found #8 TDC, I also took note of the harmonic balancer - the
timing mark was to the "top" (near the timing indicators on the block).

Tried moving plug wires one hole over again.. more flames.

Still getting a few pops out of the exhaust, and a belches of smoke from
the carb.

I loosened the distributor and rotated it - didn't seem to help much.

The points are working since I'm getting some spark.  It's getting fuel
*and* spark since I'm getting pops and smoke out of the carb.  It's
getting fuel since the spark plugs are wet.

Could the distributor still be 180 degrees off?  *I* haven't touched it,
but who knows..

I guess, since I have fuel n' spark, that would lend itself to timing
problems.. right?

What are the classic symptoms of 180-deg off distributor?

I'm sure I'm close.. just to get it running..

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
1972 IHC Travelall 1110 1/2T 4x4 - 392, 727, 3.73 Dana 44s