Re: Computers, Jags and Alfas

>Never had an Alfa or Jag - watched my friends deal with theirs, just a
>1962 Porsche 1600 (normal) coupe, 1962 Porsche S-90 Cabriolet, and
>after the S-90 was totaled by someone running a stop sign, a 1963
>Porsche 2000 GS Cabriolet (356C w/detuned 904 engine).
>
>The 2000 GS was interesting to work on, and to overhaul - it had two
>spark plugs per cylinder, twin distributors, dual overhead cams, and
>the cams were driven by 4 jackshafts with 8 beveled pinion drives.
>
>Picture a cam drive with 8 ring and pinion gears sets, and a lot of
>very *tiny*thin*shims.*
>
>Degreeing the cams after overhaul took a while, as you didn't want to
>bend any of the sodium filled intake or exhaust valves.

Same idea!!

IIRC--you degreed the cams on that engine by jumping one of the bevel gears
forward one tooth, and the other back one tooth--

I think (?) only sodium in the exhaust valves!

The stories remind me of driving a GTZ (Guilia Tubolare Zagato) Alfa, all
to infrequently, which still belongs to a good pal!! (And which would whup
on a 904, but not a 906, rather handilyl!!