Re: ihc-digest V6 #820

>Hey all,
>
>I've been catching up on some of the digests and just read the
>comments on Dwell/ point gap from Fri. I've never been able to set the
>point gap well (using feeler guages etc.) on either of the scouts I have
>owned so..... I have been
>doing it by eye and just starting the truck and checking the dwell as I go
>until I get it where  it should be. Sometimes I can do it it one or two
>tries but other times close has to do. (I always try to get it right at 29
>degrees as the motor seems to have the most spunk at the lowest possible
>degree setting).  Is this O.K. ?  I just assumed that the proper dwell
>setting corresponded with the correct point gap (I do have good points
>BTW)
>
>Mark
>76 traveler >>
I've always thought that ideally you would set by gap and then check/fine
tune with the dwell.  My 63 304 has a little window in the distributer cap
that lets me adjust the dwell using an allen wrench (or phillips, I forget)
with the gauge on and motor running.  I had a 64 Rambler that had this too,
and it is so easy I have never understood why this is not standard.
Dennis Millward