Computers, IHC synchros

Use whatever computer you prefer, but, the color has nothing to
do with the function.  The new colored offerings from Apple have
everything to do with the psyche of marketing, and nothing
related to making the computer work better.  I know John knows
that, I just wanted to make sure we all do.  Just so we can all
"Think different".

On an IHC note, the 5 speed synchro issue gets more depressing.
I got the $161 unit from Navistar.  I can't tell it apart from the
$55 made in China unit (even with a magnifying glass).  They both
fit the same, which is, they don't.  When the stop ring for 2nd gear
is sitting in 2nd gear, the sliding clutch teeth a protruding above
the end of the mating splines on the mainshaft.  This means
they will grind on third gear when the unit is in neutral.  I'm
beginning to wonder if a new mainshaft would have a longer
splined area that the sliding clutch rides on, but, I'm losing
enthusiasm to keep fighting it.  I think the automatic is
going back in.  I bought a new front seal for it last night, all
I have to do is go down and pull the bellhousing/clutch
and I can start putting it in.  Only problem is, if I do that,
I have a 192 lb, 5 speed doorstop.

Allan Weidenheimer
(presently using a generic, tan 486/66 at home as a client)