Re: My tranny broke!

>Not that I know a lot about this.. but might it be a better answer that
>you broke the "1st/2nd" *BAND*
>
>That's the pop/bang/clang you heard.  The band is like a big "belt"
>around the clutches.
>
>If you have reverse, I bet you also have 3rd gear - of course, you
>wouldn't know it unless you have a manual valve body. ;-)

Nope--the other clutch is the "direct" clutch, engaged in direct and reverse.

One band is the "intermediate" band--engaged in second only, and the other
band is the "low-reverse" band--engaged in low and reverse only.

The symptoms do not fit a failure of either band, although failure of the
intermediate band MIGHT rob enough fluid volume/pressure to prevent
engagement of the forward clutch!

Greg