starter solenoid springs...

Hmmm...interesting question about the spring size/strength in the solenoid.
 All I can say is that I haven't had a lick of problem in almost two years
since I did the conversion.  One of the digesters posted the part number
for the replacement spring that was supposed to be the update.  I tried to
find it, but somehow it's missing from my archive.  Perhaps that digester
could speak up and reiterate that part number.

I did do one other modification , which was to set up a remote relay to
fire the solenoid. I did this for two reasons:
1: to remove the current load off of the start circuit, and buffer it
through the relay
2: make it really easy to "jump" the solenoid when necessary to start it
manually (ie. it's easier to reach than trying to sick your hand, a
screwdriver, and whatever you're wearing through the fenderwell)

Doing this would probably be unnecessary if you have properly rewired your
truck, but stock wiring can sometimes be suspect (especially the 'ole
bulkhead connectors) and this gives one extra edge against starting
problems...