'71 Scout 304 Oil Capacity

What is the oil capacity for my '71 Scout 800 with a 304?  I have the
after-market dipstick that does not look even remotely right, and am
having the valve/lifter possible problems.  I want to simply change the
oil and see how that goes, but have no idea what capacity is.  Need to
know how much to fill it up.  Also, what effect would too much oil have
on the engine running?  I cannot tell this at this point either, but it
looks like, from the length of the dipstick and the point the oil comes
to, that there may be too much oil in there.  Could this cause a similar
reaction?  I have heard that overfill with oil can damage valves, so
could this be a problem?  Is it possible that I could take out some oil
and get the thing to run better, or is it pretty much going to be shot
if there is enough oil to cause a problem?

Thanks for any advice!

Michael