balancing,T-all rear window,crank pulleys, vacuum wipers

>So the bottom line is that if you need a new flywheel, as long as is the
>correct component for your engine, just bolt it on and forget about it.  You
>can't really do anything about it anyway.  You engine balance won't be so
>dramatically affected as to cause any problems.  But if your doing a rebuild,
>it's money well invested if you go ahead and have the engine balanced...
>especially if you start changing components like the pistons, connecting
rods,
>harmonic balancer, flywheel, flexplate, etc.
>
>Again, just my $0.02.
>
>Regards,
>
>John L.

When I first got my '60 B-102 p/u, I quickly discovered why it had been
parked for 15yrs - collapsed piston skirt. As it was to be a 'ranch truck',
I bought 1 new piston and a gasket set instead of popping for a rebuild.
The new piston was over 9 grams lighter than the original. I was pretty
concerned, but my engine machinist(very talented guy) said 'hell, just run
it'. Many years later it still gets down the road with no noticeable
vibration....

>Does the key need to be in the ignition for turn signals and the rear
>window?  The previous owner's tracking down the keys to get to me on Monday..

Yup, for some silly reason they're wired so the ignition has to be on(not
in acc position, at least on my '70) for the tailgate window to work.

>But DOES leave me wondering how come I KNOW I got a front pulley off of a
>304 a while back which was JUST a pulley--no rubber damper or ring on it!
>Mebbe that pulley came from a 266 in an earlier life, or mebbe early 304's
>came that way, but the plain pulley got superceded by one with the damper!

I have quite a few 304's sitting about, and the crank pulleys are all 1
piece. While we're on the subject, these pulleys commonly wear a pretty
good groove in them where the front main seal rides. I have yet to find a
source for a repair sleeve that size. Anybody been down that road with
success and have a source?

>Hi All,
>  I'd like to replace my defunct vacuum powered windshield wiper motors
>with something electric. Does anyone know of a good source? I found some
>small wiper motors at West marine, but their smallest was still to big
>to fit in the 800's dash. What about the rear wiper motors off a Caravan
>or something similar? Anyone had any experience with this?
>
>Thanks,
>Jeff

I haven't had a chance to go measuring, but my first thoughts for my '63 80
were Jeep stock/conversion motors which aren't a ton of money. Also, there
are lots of sources in the 'old car' and 'hot rod' hobbies for wiper
conversions...Hemmings or the hot rod mags would be the place to start.

Jim
Bindertown USA