Another Project??

I called on a '72 Travelall just now.

345V8, automatic, Dana 44s front and rear with 3.73s, rear receiver
hitch, 235/75R15s, 4wd.

It's not pretty.. definitely shows signs of use and wear n' tear.  I
noticed before the rear outer quarters were rusty behind the tires - you
can see pavement from the rear cargo area of the Travelall if you look
down.

Interior needs a good bath.. no super nasty, but not great.  Front cab
corners around the front bottom are rotten.

What other spots on this Travelall do I need to examine for rust and
problems?  How would I go about patching what's problematic already?  If
I purchase it, it'll be for a tow rig and that'll be about it.  If it
means I cut some of the lower rear quarters out to stop the rust and
just trim it up and patch - but not FIX to *stock*.. if that'll work,
great.  (Much like the rust over a Scout's rear wheel wells - it's just
begging to be trimmed for bigger tires).

Cab corners wouldn't be as straight forward.. how much of a PITA to
repair using handy angle and sheet metal?  Functional is the operative
word, particularly when combined with cheap.

I want a reliable Travelall for towing my racer and/or trail rig
behind.  Occasional daily-driver duty when necessary.  Non-integral rust
isn't a big deal - nor are looks.

the 345 ran before, but the guy took off the 2bbl intake to swap a 4bbl
intake onto it and never finished.  I saw the 2bbl intake in the back of
the T'all yesterday, but they didn't say for sure that the 4bbl intake
goes with the T'all or not - in any manner, I have a 345/392 2bbl and
4bbl square intake at home.

Drum brakes all around.  the automatic was new in '84 or some such..
worked fine 'till the 2bbl came off.  Licensed last in 1994.  Clean
title.

Radiator has a huge transmission cooler lashed to the front of it.  I
haven't popped the hood.

I don't really want another project.. but it sounds like I might be able
to make this a functional tow rig without a huge $$$$ outlay (I sure
hope so anyhow).

Body shows signs that the truck has been used.. a few dents, and
oxidized paint, but not a completely hammer or rust-ravaged body.

Why do I consider this poor old thing?  The company that has it on their
lot is closing shop.. auction is Friday.. so they want rid of it
tomorrow if they can.

Price?  $200.

Arguably, the 345 and the axles are worth $200.. of course, yard space
is getting tight, and a Travelall would take up a good bit of that.. but
if I can make a running Travelall out of this and get a decent tow rig..
yee-haw.

What do I want to look at and be wary of?  What's the biggest money pit
I'm in danger of falling into?

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'77 SII - lift, locker, V8, 4spd, 33s
'78 SII - spring over, full width, 4.88s, racer
'72 SII - project ground-up
'72 SII - gotta finish cutting up
'77 SII - cut up n' gone
'77 SII Traveler - still dunno what to do with it
'72 1/2T 4wd Travelall for a tow rig?