5-speeds in Scouts

As you all know, the T-34, T-35, and T-36 5-speeds were not offered in
Scouts, but there seems to be a lot of interest in retrofitting them.  I've
told a few people about this, but I think this is the first public
announcement.  I'm currently working on a conversion kit to install an IH
5-speed with a Jeep Dana 300 in Scout IIs and Terras.  My plan is to have the
first one finished in time to have the bugs worked out before Nationals.  If
everything goes well I'm going to make the parts available in kit form.

So far it looks like the kit will include a new input coupler for the
transfer case, an adapter to mount the transfer case to the transmission, and
a transmission tunnel cover.  I'm going to try to retain the stock cross
member, but I'm not sure that's possible.  If a new cross member is required,
it will be included in the kit.  A custom clutch linkage may also be part of
the kit.  Right now it looks like the total drivetrain length will be about 5
inches longer than the stock 727/Dana 20 setup, so driveshaft modifications
will be required.  Other options I may eventually offer include a short-throw
shifter for the 5-speed, twin stick transfer case shifters, and
tranny/transfer case skid plates.

I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Jerry Muncie