RE: Thoroughly modern light line

>From: bearbvd@domain.elided (Greg Hermann)
>
>Rampant and blatant corruption in IHC's (Chicago based, SURPRISE!)
>purchasing department was another HUGE factor in the problems.
>
>Regards, Greg

Bah... Chicago and corruption...  been there, seen that.  On the bright side,
Navistar's engine plant (in Melrose Park, IL) is pretty impressive from the
outside.  I've never seen it on the inside though.  That'd be a nice outing.

As to light-line modernism, I read a review of the 197x Scout line compared
to other (then current) 70's 4x4's and the magazine actually rated the Scout
very high in passenger comfort (ie, ride and design).  I have to dig up the
magazine.  I have it somewhere.  I'd also have to believe it was public
perception of IH and not necessarily due to IH's manufacturing.  We've seen
what good PR can do for a shoddy product (see Microsoft).

Also, I finished installing Rancho RS9000's on my Scout II.   Not a huge
difference in comfort (prolly due to the XLC springs) but you could easily
notice a difference between the 'firm' setting and the 'soft' setting.  I
have my back end set to a softer setting and the front shocks set to a firmer
setting. I had the front set to soft and the front end would bounce while I
drove and I kept getting brights flashed at me as I was driving.  I'll have
to play with the ride settings a little more to get a decent ride on Chicago
streets.  Ya know how those corrupt Chicago construction companies build
roads.... ;^)

Also, anybody have any thoughts on fiberglass fenders/quarters?  Love
them/hate them/indifferent?  My fenders are rapidly rotting and I was
thinking about replacing those with FG panels.  I've been following the
thread on the helo glue (or whatever) as an alternative to riveting quarter
panels.  That sounds interesting.

Tony
from the 'burbs of Chicago