Re: Scout 800 Front axles

>I believe mine is a Dana 44.....
>you guys said that if one of the ubolts lines up on the casing of the diff,
>it's a 44, right?
>My question is, Why have a 44 up front and a 30 in the rear?
>Matt Sopher

1.--I seriously doubt that there_were_ever_ any_ 80's or 800's with a 44 in
the front. Likewise to ANY SCOUTS AT ALL with a 30 in the rear!

80's/ 800's had either 27's or 30's in the front, and either 27's or 44's
in the rear

All Socut II's had 44's in the rear, and either 30's or 44's in the front..

27's and 30's use the same gear cover, and it has a symmetrical bolt
pattern, but the 27's have a smaller axle tube diameter than the 30's, and
eight ring gear bolts as opposed to ten in the 30.

44's have an assymetric cover bolt pattern, and still larger tube diameter
than the 30's.

Regards, Greg