Re: Unsprung weight - was: two transfercases

O.K. Curt:

Depends on what you're trying to do. If you're worried about ride
quality, then this is true - more unsprung weight will give you a
harsher ride.

Not just ride quality, but articulation, undulation and everything in
between. The body tends to move less and the suspension more in relation to
the ratio of sprung weight/unsprung weight. Simple physics - inertia.
And I think that we're talking about more than "ride quality" here. It's
the whole action of the suspension: axle assembly in relation to body
thing. Otherwise, we wouldn't even need springs, just solid mounts would
do. And, if sprung weight could equal unsprung, that is probably how it
would work - just like it had a "solid" suspension.

 But a vehicle with more unsprung weight will have a lower
center of gravity, and less of a tendancy to lean or roll over in
off-camber situations - a Suzuki Samurai with front and rear dana 60's
would be very difficult to roll. And at very low speeds the ride
quality isn't an issue.

I'll give you that. But do you think a Suzuki Samurai could even turn the
dana 60's? Ride quality not an issue - perhaps. But how you going to drive
this thing on the freeway? A little "whoop-de-do" and you'll be airborne
going 60 MPH!

I don't know, I have this strange vision of a Samurai bouncing along a
rough road with axles/wheels/tires that are bigger than it is. Like one of
those "exagerated" cartoon charactures of a 4WD vehicle they put on
T-shirts.

Tom H.