Re: shaking, heater, jack

Farmer wrote:

> Heather wrote:
> > When I take off, it shakes a lot. (It was changed from a 304 to a 345 in
> > Aug 97 by PO's shop.)
> Bad u-joints?

EEEEEK!  Sounds like $ - we'll see!  Not something we can do at this
juncture.

> > It has very slow pickup for a V-8 in my opinion.  Is this normal, or
> > should we be worried?  Does it have anything to do with which suspension
> > package I have or whatever (don't know and don't understand, but plan to
> > figure out at least what we have this weekend)?
>
> No, a V-8 in good shape generally has good pickup.  Mostly depends on the
> ring & pinion gearset in your axles.  The r&p gears live in the big
> "pumpkin" shaped area in the axles, and they provide additional "torque", or
> mechanical advantage to the engine - like the gears on a bike.  Should be
> anywhere from 2.72 to 4.10 to 1.

We'll see about that... eeek!

> > There are also lots of other things like the environmental control slide
> > switches are all stuck to the right and we gotta get up under there to
> > find out what's happening, cuz it's getting warm!
> If it gets too hot, a temporary fix can be to go under the hood, and look
> for some valves on the rubber tubes that go in & out of the heater box.
> You can wire those shut with something like a plastic zip-tie, so that they
> stay closed (like you had the heater slider all the way to the left).

Thanks, never would have thought of that.  Will do.

> Competance is more important that experience with IH, a mercedes guy can
> work on your scout.  Of course, experience with american trucks is
> preferred.

Yeah,  looks like I really have my work cut out for me here.

> > an original jack and the hardware to stow it where it's supposed to go.
> > Anyone, anyone?
> I'd get something like a 3-ton hydraulic jack, and store it along with a
> piece of a 2x8 lumber, just in case.  It'll work for you better than the
> stock one.

Cool, will do.  Right away.  Very necessary.  I guess I don't have to
restore it yet!

> Good luck and have fun,
>
> Ken Farmer

Thanks Ken, you really know how to scare a person!  Tee hee.  We'll see
after the tune up how much we need to spend at the shop.  I will have
fun even if I am scared.  I just hate parting with my money, you know?

--
@->-->----Heather & Bryan----<--<-*
            San Jose, CA