RE: views on ford front dana 44 and Dana 60 front

>Thanks for the info Curt. I dont think chevy had a Dana 70 F (front)
>either. I have never seen a 1310 4x4 but I am buying a 1310 2wd truck with
>a diamond plate flatbed and welding bottle racks. It is big enough on the
>rear to fit a scout 80/800 and a 2 I am pretty sure. If not I will extend
>it to.

Yep--Dodge and IH are the only two to have used the 70F. It has the large
size knuckles, like an FA 18-25, but also much bigger spindles /hubs. It is
also used on the 1500 4x4's, but with 5-bolt Budd hubs there. Dodge and IH
housings are identical. Some 1600 4x4's also used a 70F, but with a much
wider housing (FA-58) with either 5 or 6 bolt Budd hubs. The FA 57 front
used in the rest of the 1600 4x4's is a drop-out style housing which uses
the same pumpkin as a 1300 rear (RA-15 if '68 and earlier or RA-20 if '69
and later, but RA-15, RA-20, and FA-57 all use the same pumpkin.)

There are also a VERY FEW 70F's around with open knuckles, but I do not
think that they were ever standard in "trucks". I believe that all of these
were used in "special equipment" (street sweepers or something like that??)

>So next question is can the 5 lug axles from a Fa-44 fit into a FA 18 and
>FA-25 (what is the difference between these two?)

No they won't--the FA 18/25 uses the large knuckles and the joints inside
them are BIG--the 1480 Spicer size. You MIGHT be able to use the FA-18
shafts with 5 bolt HUBS and FA-18 spindles--but it might take some wheel
bearing juggling.

 so I can retain my 5 on
>5 rims and tires?

Question--I have seen the FA-18/25 mostly on what I would call a "Crew-Cab
" pick-up. It sounds as though the book wants to call these crew cabs
"Travellettes" If this is correct--what is the correct name for the
Travelall I have which is chopped off right behind the rear seat, and which
has about a 5 foot long , unitary with the rest of the body, "pick-up" bed
behind the panel behind the rear seat??? I have always thought that THAT
was a "Travellette"!! Have I been wrong??

Regards, Greg