Re: Body panels

Hey Alan and All,

my first repair was similar to yours.  I picked up a used set of rear
quarters, actually just the outer skins.  The top edge was rotted out
pretty bad on both sides, but the bottom 2/3 were pretty good.  I pop
rivetted mine on and made the horizontal seem just under(about 1 inch
under) the smooth bend up near the top.

  |__
     \
      \  ___ just under this section

Hope this comes out ok.  I never tried drawing using text.  I guess it
shows, huh?  Anyways, the reason for attaching here was that the top edge
was rotted to about this area on the replacements, and also I would be able
to hide the seam alittle better.

Point is, I was able to do the repair with pop rivets and a whole lot of
undercoating.  If you go this route, the fastest thing that will destroy it
is if moisture attacks it from behing.  Remember that the pop rivets act
like a straw when you pop them sometimes.  What I mean is that when you pop
the rivet, it doesn't make a water tight seal where you just pulled the pin
through.  That's the area you really want to make sure gets sealed with a
good undercoating.  That and also the seam of course.

Good luck,
John Wynne
76 Scout Terra
Sterling, CT