Re: 12v radio to 6v

Regarding the differences between 6 volt and 12 volt radios,
there are two main differences:

The tube filaments run off of either 6 volt or 12 volt and
the high voltage power supply runs off of either 6 or 12 volts.
The high voltage power supply converts the 6 or 12 volts to about
120 - 250 volts dc.

The 12 volt filament tubes almost certainly have 6 volt counterparts
(for example if the tube is called a "12AU7" there is probably a
"6AU7" that will be identical except for the filament voltage),
but the 12 volt input high voltage power supply must be changed to
a 6 volt input high voltage power supply to make the radio work.

Another concern is that some 6 volt vehicles are positive ground and
some are negative ground whereas most 12 volt vehicles are negative
ground.  I do not recall whether a '53 chevrolet is negative or positive
ground.

I have seen 6 volt to 12 volt converters for radios and other accessories.
To use it with the tube type radio, it would have to have sufficient
capacity (probably about 7 amps at 12 volts - but I cannot recall for sure).

A further note regarding old car radios - some are hybrids of transistors
and tubes and run off of 12 volts and do not have the high voltage power
supply.  I have one from a 1959 Ford that I had in my Ford pickup.
(Does one admit to owning a Ford?).  A 1955 radio is probably not a hybrid.

I hope that this is useful and furthermore I hope that it is accurate - I have
not worked with any of this equipment for many years.

Allan

1973 IH Travelall 1110