Fuel Pressure Regulator

I have a question about fuel pressure regulators;  There is a regulator made
by Puralator<sp> that is a in line device, goes from something like 15-1psi.
I saw this at the NAPA in Moab.
I saw one of these on a Jeep CJ7 with a 304.  It had a fuel pump with two
port, with a internal pressure regulator.  The owner stated that the first
pump ruptured after the regulator was put on, then he got the new pump, with
two outputs.
The second vehicle I saw, was a bronco, same regulator, stock fuel pump, no
by-pass.  Has had the fuel regulator on for two years, no problem.
Will I blow up my stock fuel pump without a by-pass?  The fuel pressure
regulators in Summit or Jegs have 3 port, one being the by-pass.  But these
regulators don't go down low, like 1 psi.
Scott Ray