Re: Winching backwards

Farmer wrote:
> Hmmm, that's exactly the kind of problem I'd like to be aware of in advance!
> But, do you think it's an issue with slow winching?

Definitely a problem!

If it's rubbing at all, it's also transferring some force.. would you
wrap a thin cable around your oil pan and then try to pick the engine up
with that thin cable... *WITH THE MOTOR STILL BOLTED INTO THE SCOUT*?
You're doing the same thing with a winch cable.  Applying some force
(and even angled forces that don't bear the full brunt of things are
still significant when we're talking about a 9,000lbs winch under load).

> I think it would need to be run through something strong at each end, and
> have no bends in the middle, otherwise the cable would break the tubing.

Yep.  Small fairleads front and rear and a clear path between the two
for a straight run of cable.

> Well, he's so busy these days with 19 other projects.

<grin>  I just shipped one project off to it's own home!  I must say we
did get some interesting looks having a Scout II tub sitting 3' up in
the air on saw horses on Saturday...

> around at the moment...what about strapping a cement culvert to the top of
> the scout and running the lead through that?  <g>

You'd damage your winch cable! ;-)  I've seen a few break recently.. not
something I want to see too often.

> > By the way, speaking of bumpers, does anyone know a a dirt cheap
> > bracket for mounting something like a railraoad tie for a front bumper?

Two big bolts right through the frame horn!

-Tom Mandera, ArmChair Engineer of the IHC Digest (hey, at least I went
to school for it!)
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout