Long 5 speed info dump

Wow, everytime I mention the 5 speed, I sure get lots of helping
suggestions.  Thanks Eldon, Jeff, Bill, Tom (I think that's everyone).
Now that I'm back from my quick trip to D.C. for my paying job,
I can get back to the real task at hand, getting my tranny back in.

A little more info on parts availability:
I stopped at Active Gear (http://www.activegear.com) on Monday,
on my way to the airport.  A half hour later, I walked out with
everything I needed:
2ea Outer Synchro rings for the 4/5 synchro  $11.68 ea
1ea Mainshaft 5th speed gear (OD)  $56.00
1ea Front seal  $4.46
1ea Rear seal $13.94
Gasket set $3.88  (I couldn't make them for that!)
2nd gear  $54.30  (teeth were worn where they engage)

Previously, I had bought the two syncho sets at $47.50 and
$52.75 each.  These parts are not IHC originals, they are
made by 'Perfection', whom also makes parts for Fuller, Spicer,
Rockwell, New Process, etc. that go in BIG trucks.

All where IN STOCK.  In fact, I'm about 95% sure you could walk in there,
and leave with the parts to make a T-36 direct unit a T-34 overdrive,
so for those people wanting the OD unit for their pickups or travelalls,
rejoice!  I know where there is a direct unit in a school bus right now.
Your search is much easier if you don't have to find the OD unit.
There are only 4 different parts, the 5th speed gear I bought, its mating
gear on the countershaft, and 3rd gear on the mainshaft and countershaft.
You might be able to not change 3rd gear, in fact a T-36 3rd would make
the 3-4 jump smaller, but it might make the 2-3 jump too much.

Allan Weidenheimer
72 1210 Pickup