Re: Vaccuum Advance on '71 Scout

"John A. Landry" wrote:

> Do we need to take up a collection to buy you a timing light and a tach /
> dwell meter?  Please save yourself some serious headaches and actually

Typically you can rent a timing light if you need it on an occasional
basis.. but owning more than one IH, you NEED to buy one... I know the
local Champion has 'em for $40.. and I think less and more $$$.

Of course, the low-buck backyard mechanic trick is to train your eyes to
blink every time your left arm gets shocked.. with a little practice, I
think you could hold the #8 cylinder spark plug wire in your left hand,
and blink "in-time" and see the timing mark properly...

*JUST KIDDING*  I doubt you'd hold on for a second zap anyhow.. but it
would be a cool skill to impress your friends (they'd probably ask if
you sniffed a lot of glue when you were younger..)

> But that doesn't mean the "tuneup" was done right.  Never trust a
> mechanic... especially a "buddy"!  I don't expect you to trust me either!

FWIW, I'm no longer impressed with mechanics.  They do things just like
I do - try it.. if it don't work, change something and try it again.
Repeat as necessary.

The difference is they charge ya $30 or better an hour for this trial n'
error.. I don't know about bartending, but even my "white collar" job
doesn't pay me $30/hr.. so it's in my own best interest to trail n'
error on my own time..

granted, they *might* start off with a better understanding of what to
try first.. but I'm getting there.

> timing.  But the correct test (to verify if your vacuum advance is working)
> is to hook up a timing light and watch for movement of the timing mark on
> the harmonic balancer.  The vacuum advance only gives you about 5 to 10

I put my timing light on, plugged the dist vac port, and then applied my
personal vacuum pump (read: mouth) to a brand new vacuum line and
watched the timing mark move.

> may not be able to "hear" the change in rpm.  I applaud you for having a
> hand held vacuum pump to test your vacuum advance.  Most shade tree
> mechanics lack one.

See above.  Go Michael!  But.. I have a timing light!  Pffbbtt.  And a
Vacuum gauge to boot..

> Yes, but I'll save them until I see you at Tulare... you will be there
> won't you?  We need to sit down and have a long talk Mike. <grin>

Don't worry, Mike - John'll learn-ya!  He rubs off on folks.... darn it
if I don't need to go buy some more WD40 now after spraying every bolt
that's come out and gone into my Scout since I was at John's...

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout