Re: '71 800 Getting better!

The aliens commander decided Tom Harais <tjhemh@domain.elided> would make a
perfect specimen for dissection, and he yelled...

>Those condensers on many old point ignitions not only cut down on radio
>interference but also work as "electrical shock absorbers" to keep the
>current from arcing across the points. In addition, I previously pointed
>out to Michael that in my own experience, I have found that replacing a bad
>condenser stopped and engine that was badly backfiring from doing so
>anymore. A lesson I learned from and old mechanic when I was only about 15
>years old - all-be-it was on an S/B Chevy in a heavy duty crane truck.

Tom,

It's my understanding (after reading books on vehicle electrical systems
and after conversations with an MSD technician) that the condenser on the
coil does nothing more than reduce radio interference from the ignition.

You might be confusing the function of the condenser *inside* a breaker
point distributor that acts as the "electrical shock absorber" to prevent
breaker point burning upon opening and thus extend point life.  You do not
need a condenser on the coil... it's purely a convenience item to reduce
annoying radio interference... just like resistor plugs and wires.  You'll
notice IH installed a condenser on the coil even in vehicles equipped with
a Holley gold box ignition and the Prestolite electronic distributor.

>I noted (it's been years since I worked on a car with points ignition) that
>most ignition kits contained a new condenser. I don't think they would have
>included one if it wasn't an expendable and necessary part.

I hope no one thinks I suggested you don't need a condenser with
conventional breaker points!  It's always a good idea to replace the
condenser when replacing the breaker points.  The only time this is the
case (not needing a condenser) is when the points are acting solely as a
low-current "trigger" or switch for something like an MSD system.

Best regards,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |
Conservative Libertarian        |  "The road to  tyranny, we must never
Life Member of the NRA          |   forget, begins with the destruction
WA Arms Collectors              |   of the truth."
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   |                     William J. Clinton
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |    10-15-95, speech at the Univ. of CT