Re: Jacobs Ignitor

The aliens commander decided Kevin Curry <kevin@domain.elided> would make a
perfect specimen for dissection, and he yelled...

>I seemingly remember someone saying they have the
>Ignitor on their Scout. How well does it perform?

Kevin,

You put "Jacobs" in the subject line, but mention "Pertronix" in the body
of your message.  I just wanted to make sure you understand that Jacob's
and Pertronix are completely unrelated companies.

Lots of us have Pertronix Ignitors.  I have used one both with and without
an MSD 6A and it works perfectly.  The Ignitor is self contained, very
stable and is capable of handling a nice high power spark if you want to
increase your plug gap a little.  I ran my Ignitor with a 0.050" gap with
no ill effects.  With my newly balanced and rebuilt V392 with the Ignitor,
the engine was so sooth at idle you couldn't even feel it running.  I
hooked up my MSD 6A and a swear the idle isn't quite as smooth any longer.
I attribute this to possibly to an errant multi-spark jumping to the wrong
terminal or ground inside the distributor cap.  Hard to say.

The best part of switching from points to the Ignitor is that you'll never
have to gap the points or readjust the timing again.  Once installed and
set, you can pretty much forget about the timing ever again.

Regards,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |
Conservative Libertarian        |  "The road to  tyranny, we must never
Life Member of the NRA          |   forget, begins with the destruction
WA Arms Collectors              |   of the truth."
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   |                     William J. Clinton
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |    10-15-95, speech at the Univ. of CT