Glass pack flow

Steve,

<< Someday I'm gonna measure the backpressure on the glasspacks and the
turbos.  I'm still having a problem with people telling me there's more
backpresssure with a straight through glasspack than there is with a
muffler with lots of room for expansion or a change of direction.
Everything I learned about fluid flow tells me the straight through is the
lowest back presssure. >>

If you look inside a glass pack, you will see that it really isn't straight
through, flow wise. If it were, you could put a straight pipe in its place.
There are slots or other holes for noise cancelling purposes, along with the
glass or steel packing which absorb or trap the noise, which is why they are
quieter than a straight pipe. The slots, holes, etc. cause turbulance in the
flow of air which causes back pressure. It's the same reason racers port and
polish intake runners. I think it would happen to fluids flowing in a pipe as
well, although not to anywhere the same degree. That's my simple explanation,
and I'm stickin to it.

Digesters, your comments?

STeve