Accident Avoidance

Ted Borck wrote:
> weight transfers to the front during braking which tends to unload the
> rear and increases the tendency of the rear brakes to lock up
> a lot of vehicle emergencies involve hard braking and attempting to
> turn away from what ever is creating the emergency.

Of course, we all know, you always steer out of it unless you can't...

Of course, in a lifted 4x4, or a top heavy SUV, high speed swerving
isn't always a great idea, either, because of the roll possibilities..

TURN, *OR* lock 'em up.

I always try to steer out of it first, then I lay on the binders.. AFTER
the truck has taken the direction I want.  If you hit the brakes too
soon, weight transfer and inertia will have the nose plowing straight
ahead no matter what the tires want.. the fronts lock up, and you're
done.. just hang on for the ride and hope you stop in time.

When I munched my '76 Chevy Luv, I was cresting a hill in an
intersection.. someone started to cut in front of me, then stopped.  I
turned the wheels first and started sliding on the traction sand
(leftovers from winter).. THEN the brakes were applied since I was
unable to steer around.. almost go around 'em...

The Scout's a bit different, with as much lift as it has, and those
heavy 33x12.50s, I don't think I've locked up my tires recently... in
fact, I'm pondering what I should do to upgrade the stopping power...

When I nearly rolled that Luv, it was after I had turned the truck
sideways trying to steer out of a bad situation.. THEN locked up the
tires.. and there were four grooves in the dirt n' mud that went
straight to the 10' drop off I went over sideways... ;-)

-Tom