Re: rear disk brakes

Tom Harais wrote:

> I know that Porshce was getting "reamed" by the "rubber suit" types back in
> the 70's for selling cars that were set up more for racing than the average
> driver. And, one of those "racing" complaints was the tendancy for the rear
> end to 'come around suddenly' if am untrained driver trailed off the
> throttle or applied the brake in a hard turn. A "trained" driver knew to
> "hit the gas" at the apex of a hard turn, even if he/she got into the turn
> a little too fast, in order for the Porsche to negotiate that turn without
> spinning. This was considered "racing technique" and the rubber suit folks
> wanted Porshe to go back and engineer in "oversteer" like any good ole'
> American Boulevard cruiser for safety sake. Then, when a neophyte got into
> a turn too fast and stomped down on the brake, the car would understeer -
> or just plow straight ahead - rather than "fishtailing" out of control. It
> was considered "safer".

Tom-

I would like to thank you for adding this example.  I was having a real hard
time figuring out why you would "want" the front to lock first.  It seems to me
that in a straight line, you would want the rears to lock first, slowing the
rear, and thus the rear couldn't swing around on you.  This slao would allow
for maximum retention of control with the front tires not in a skid.  However,
since you added the "going around a curve" idea, and in thinking and realizing
that this is probably when the average driver may have to brake more, it makes
sense.  Of course, we all have to stomp on them in a straight line sometimes on
the highway when there is a pile-up ahead (as the front end of my '68 T'all can
attest), but I would think that this is most likely the most easily
"controlled" skid.
I have enjoyed this discussion of something that is over my head...usually, I
get lost much earlier in the conversation!

Michael