Plugs, Fire, Distributor

Matt,

I just recently went through the same thing on my SII. As far as the
distributor goes, I too had the "gold box setup", but after tinkering with
it for hours and having no success getting fire, I simply went to NAPA and
bought a Points type Distributor(around $40). I believe Holley and
Prestolite make one. The distributor should be the same for all V8 models
from 74-78 (At least that's what I was told).

Two things to note. My engine has imprinted on the valve covers a
message..."time V8 engine on Number 8 Cylinder". I don't know that this
makes any difference or not, but I did it anyway, and it works fine.

The second to note is the firing order which should be printed on the Intake
manifold. I do not know it right off the top of my head.

If you are not familiar with the difference between # "7" and lets say #
"3"cylinders.....Here is a diagram that may help. If you are looking at  the
top of the engine standing on the front of the bumper, here is the numbering
order of the cylinders.

   back
8	7
6	5
4	3
2	1
   front

In other words, the #1 cylinder will be the one closest to you on the right.
Once you determine the firing order,
you need to remove the number 1 cylinder spark plug (unless yours says to
time on #8 cylinder in which case you would do the following to the #8 Spark
plug). Cover the plug hole with your thumb and have a friend get in and
"bump" the starter until you feel pressure build and start to blow through
the hole. (you WILL know because it will blow out no matter how hard you
press your thumb over the hole). As soon as you get this to happen STOP.
Now you have the piston at/ or near "Top Dead Center".
During a normal revelation of your engine, this is where your sparkplug will
fire.

Now, take your distributor cover off and note where the rotor button is
pointing. You will also notice 8 metal "tits" inside the distributor. Which
ever "Tit" the button is in contact with, is where you are going to have
fire. Mark that "tit".
Now start putting your plug wire back onto the distributor cap in the same
sequence as the firing order.
If the ignition system is working properly, you should get fire and be able
to run the engine. (NOTE: you may have to adjust the timing as to get it to
run more smoothly)

Good luck,
Dane

dane@domain.elided