Re: Copper's Uniden Sale - SSB

Curt Cleavinger wrote:
> >...now even you cheapie guys...
> Hey, I resemble that remark!

FWIW, the "cheapie" Walmart radios I was talking about, I believe, are
the same as the $30 Uniden's John posted about..

> OK John, now that you got me looking at nicer CBs, I need to
> ask - has anyone on the list actually used SSB? I know it's

I've always *wanted* SSB, but never ever had an excuse to USE it even if
I *did* have it.  Only a few of my very CB active friends have SSB and
they use it once in a great while.. usually when they don't want the
others to hear what they have to say.

Most of the people I go fourwheeling with have "cheapie" radios.. I'm
sure there's more than a few old 23ch units in their rigs (I have a
few)..

Same boat as a HAM radio.. GREAT if *EVERYONE* has it.. but if just ONE
person doesn't have SSB, you're all stuck on AM CB..

OTOH, SSB *does* give a longer range.. it might be possible to use an
SSB channel as an emergency hailing frequency if someone's out of range
of AM...

But again.. I doubt there are TWO people in the Frontier 4x4 club
(probably not even 1) with SSB.. and I bet I could count on two hands
(if not one) the number of fourwheelers in the Montana 4x4 Association
that run SSB radios..

-Tom "I still want an SSB radio" Mandera, Helena MT