Re: Replacement Heat Stove

I wasn't real clear about what I did to make a heat stove for use with my
headers.

I found that a frozen orange juice can (but are there any metal ones
available any more??) was the right diameter--about 2 or 2 1/4"--to fit
inside the corregated hose that runs from the air cleaner down the the
original heat stove on the manifold.  I cut out the bottom end of the can
and notched the sides at the bottom so that it would fit a little closer
to the header tube.  I brazed a couple of tabs on the bottom so I could
clamp it to the header tube with hose clamps.  The open bottom is against
the tube and the can comes off the tube at right angles with the hose on
the other end.  When the flap in the air cleaner snorkel is open to the
hot air side, the carb air is drawn from around the header tube and into
the carb, where it does make the engine run noticibly better when it's
cold.

I've never tried to measure temperatures, but I doubt if this provides
air that is as warm as the OEM heat stove on the manifold as the air
makes one quick pass across the tube rather than being drawn along the
manifold on the stock setup.  I'll have to hook up my indoor/outdoor
thermometer and see if I can see the difference.
A more effective stove could probably be made by brazing the bottom of
the can to the side of another that was split so you could wrap it around
the header.  This would provide more area for more heat transfer.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

On Tue, 09 Mar 1999 20:14:32 -0800 MikeIIDC@domain.elided writes:
>Howard-
>
>I am sorry, but in my mechanical infancy, I am not seeing this at all!
Do
>you put the can over the end of the tailpipe to back up the warm air?
Then
>block off the air filter?  I am sorry, but I am really interested in
this
>thread-planning on making a permanent home in the mountains when school
is
>out-but I do not understand what you are saying.  I'm sure this doesn't
>surprise you, but any chance you could give me an even more
"kindergarten"
>explanation?
>
>Michael
>

>> the stumble, etc. I got when it was cold and found that a frozen
>orange
>> juice can makes a good substitute clamped to one tube of the header.
>> just block my air cleaner to the hot air side for the winter.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]