Re: CB radio

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999 ldupliss@domain.elided wrote:

> Any how, the time has come to buy a cb.  Where does one go to purchase a
> decent one (Wal-mart, Sam's, HIFI Buys, mail order???)?  Are there any
> special features I should look for, is one maker better than the other, and
> how much should I expect to pay?  Does anyone have any experience with

For "most" people, here's what I'd recommend:

First, hit Walmart/Kmart/whatever.  They have a small Uniden CB for
around $50 or less.  Don't even look at anything that doesn't have:
volume & squelch.  RF Gain, Dynamike, SSB (side band), Noise Limiter,
Noise Blanker, blah blah... not required.  Volume and squelch ARE. (IMO)

With that in mind, check out the Pawn shops.  I've seen those same
Unidens for $25 at the pawn shop.  Also look at older radios.. so long as
they work, they work!  Cobra, Realistic, Uniden.. I also have a Kraco, a
Robyn, and I've had a few Midlands and more than a few other brands.  No
complaints with any of 'em (the Kraco & Robyn are 23ch units).  If you
have a choice, the 40ch models are usually preferred just for more
channels.. but the 23chs are more than adequate (read: if it's a deal,
it's a deal.. get the 23)

Pawn shop or Kmart.. don't pay more than $50 for your first CB and
microphone.

Now go find an antenna.. the $20 RadioShack magnetic mount is probably
one of the most popular.. I have a couple, but I don't like them.  They
don't "stick" very well, and mine are always wobbling loose (the antenna
screws into a "top" which screws into a "middle"' which screws into the
magnetic base.. when on the trail, I'm always tightening this mess up).
The beauty is - you can put 'em on ANY vehicle and you're good to go.

The K40s are better mag mounts.. and I've had good luck with fiberglass
whips.. just be sure to use a spring on 'em.. or you'll break them even
more often.  Avoid dual whip antenna setups.  Unless you have an IH Eagle
semi-tractor..  anything narrower, and the dual antennas just "fight"
each other.

For a trail rig, any antenna setup will do.. but there are "right" and
"wrong" ways..  my ideal spot is a bracket to the top of the windshield
frame.. with a center or bottom loaded whip.  The top of the windshield
frame is the "best" place on a SII to mount the antenna for maximum
reception.  And on the frame and not the hardtop means you can use the
radio in the summer (you do take the hardtop off, right?  Ya should!).

Now, if you "get into" CB radio.. you can go for the cool toys.. but your
new found "CB Friends" will turn you on to the appropriate stuff and the
appropriate people to acquire such stuff.

One of my favorite radios is the Cobra 29LTD Classic... highly
"tuneable".. though I think I'd opt for a Uniden 2510 Presidential (I
believe that's the model) if I had the bucks and nothing to spend it on...

I personally use a Cobra 21Plus 40ch CB and a RS magnetic whip on my
'77.. of all of my wheelin' friends' radios, mine talks the farthest and
the clearest.  The radio was given to me (along with every other unit I
had, and the 35amp 12V Astron p/s that I use to run a 'base' with an 8.5'
whip on the roof of the house and a 'junk' 23ch radio)

You can also check out the Off-road FAQ CB Radio section
(www.offroadlist.com should take you there).. you might recognize
someone's name in there... (who, me???)

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT - contributor to the ORD since '93
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout