Re: Exhaust Chirping Sound

John,

Fill'er up with best grade premium (I've had good results with Mobil
Super there **is** a difference) and set the timing to 0-5BTDC.  This way
you know you won't have any detonation.

Go over it with a Stethoscope to be sure nothing's loose inside the
engine.  Make sure there are no exhaust leaks.  Use the stethoscope
without the probe.  Just the funnel end.  Then listen to the noise.

When I had the chirping I too thought it was detonation till I made the
engine ping with a silly timing advance.

The chirping was pretty loud on mine, but mine had not been modified.
Your porting may have cut down on the volume of the noise.

The only way to stop the noise is to fill the hole for the air injection
completely.  You can buy the plugs or make them.  Make them may be better
for you since the std plugs may stick into the exhaust stream (too long)
on your ported heads.

BTW when you've got good premium gas in it try setting the spark at 15
BTDC and tell me how it runs.  It's an amazing difference on mine.

Steve

Steven A. Stegmann
     _/_/_/    _/      _/_/_/ "No free man shall ever be debarred the use
   _/    _/   _/_/   _/    _/  of arms.  The strongest reason for the
   _/        _/ _/   _/        people to retain the right to keep and bear
    _/_/    _/  _/    _/_/     arms is, as a last resort, to protect
       _/  _/_/_//       _/    themselves against tyranny in government"
 _/_/_/  _/     _/ _/_/_/         Thomas Jefferson, June 1776