anti-sway hitches

John and I had a short discussion about equalizer and anti-sway hitches
before I left Tacoma yesterday.. and on the first leg, as my Scout was
swaying back n' forth and the nice soft suspension was squishing and
oscillating, I got to thinkin' some more.. ;-)

What's the basic setup of an anti-sway hitch?  Can I replicate it
myself?

I'm wondering if I did something like... mount two steering stabilizers
(50/50 valving) in parallel with the sides of the tow-bar, attached to
the tow rig and the towed rig, would that be about the same setup?
better/worse than an "off-the-shelf" solution?

Of course, the tow-bar is a "V" or triangle shape.  I envisioned making
mounts on either side of the receiver hitch (when I fab the rear bumper)
for some steering stabilizers, and do the same on the front bumper for
the racer, just outside of the tow-bar mounting pins.

Would this accomplish the desired goal of minimizing the "whipping"
effect?

-Tom