I'm Home!

No deaths, no accidents.. and while the WA Highway patrol *did* eyeball
me once or twice, they were always going the other direction, and I
wasn't harassed once.

I left John's around 12:15pm MST, and finally was on my way to Snoqualmie
pass around 1pm or so.. from John's to Ellensburg, the Traveler was
awfully squirrely.. it kept pushing me around at anything over 60mph..
I'd creep up to 65mph, then start swaying, slow to 55, then back up to
60.. over and over.

I stopped in Ellensburg for fuel.  First we tried to hit McDonalds.. with
a schoolbus of high schoolers stopped right in the middle of the McD's
parking lot.. i couldn't cut the turn sharp and go around the bus.. since
I had the Traveler in tow.. finally the bus moves, so I go forward..
drive through says, "No Trailers - 9' clearance".. I thought for just a
moment, then proceeded to Drive Through.. ;-)  Towed right through the
drivethrough, got my food, then hit the gas station.

Rearranged the load a little bit.  We had an intake and an ammo crate of
engine parts to the rear of the two motors.  It was wedged a little under
one of the 345s, and then ratchet strapped.. the ratchet strap slipped
(and proved that it would continue to no matter what I did) and the
intake was just "there".. so I moved it to the front seat, and the box of
stuff to just behind the seat.

Gassed up - 11mpg - and pulled out.. only to have the front tires of the
Traveler turn sideways.. MAN do they squeal!  I pulled into the next gas
station, and as I did so, hopped the curb, and the tires straightened
out.. back onto the road and onto I-90 and away I go..

I don't know if there was less wind, nicer roads, I was getting better at
towing (good hint on resting my arm on the arm rest, John.. too bad my
elbow got sore after a few hundred miles), or redistributing the load...
but after Ellensburg, I could hold 70mph.. and later on I was seen flying
through Central Washington at 75mph.. even 80mph.. with a Traveler in tow.

Stopped in Medical Lake for more fuel.. and really hammered down since it
was getting dark.. finally got "dark" after I flew through Coeur d'
Alene.. I was pushing to get past the "mess" that's between CdA and
Spokane before I *had* to turn on my headlights.. since, as John
mentioned, with the headlights on I have no turn signals.

(btw, saw a lifted white SII on my way to Seattle.. when I was just
driving around CdA).

Another fuel stop just inside the Montana border.. and again in
Missoula.. and then home.  Only MacDonald pass (near Helena) and Look Out
pass really killed me.. the 304/4.09/33s seemed to have enough grunt..
even to accelerate to 80mph when some nuts-o lady that refused to get
into the slow lane kept cruising along with the Cruise set at something
like 73mph and "pokin' along" in the fast lane near the Wa/ID border.

The 4" lift springs and rear shackles probably helped amplify the swaying
issues I had for some time.  I also noticed the Traveler lacks an
anti-sway bar.. which might be another consideration.

Things did get much better as the day progressed.

Finally rolled into town.. dropped Michelle off and noticed the temp
gauge climbing.. that's fine.. except when the heater's not blowing hot
air.. hrrm... quickly headed for home.. but pulled off into a parking lot
when it hit "H".. and managed to get the Traveler's tires sideways again.

There was still enough coolant in the truck that opening the cap proved
to be a not-so-good idea.. so I sealed it back up and let it sit.. I
turned it on after a bit and let it idle.. temp came down some, but still
around 3/4 (vs between 1/2 and 1/3 like normal) on the gauge.  I took the
opportunity to get out my Hi-Lift, jack the Traveler up, and then turn
the tires the right direction.

Limped home, baabying the throttle.. backed it up out front, tarped it,
unhitched it, and called it a night.

On the road, it actually felt kinda good to give the 304 a workout.  Hear
it growl when I'd put my foot in the throttle with a nice load on it...
I'm glad I was able to get my speed up to 70+.. as it was, it took about
12hrs.  I averaged 10mpg (thus far, that's my figure) towing.. I got
about 11mpg going out.  This with #59 jets.. I had 58s before and netted
13mpg..

I also have a number of "Hillbilly" pictures.. even ones taken at various
gas stations.. when I scan 'em, I'll post 'em.

After work I get to unload the motors and then tow the Traveler 'round
back and out of sight.. while I ponder what should become of it.

For now *yawn* I think it's time for bed.

BTW, it's precisely 1000 miles from Missoula, MT to John's place and
back.  Well, actually 1000 miles plus 8 and some change..

152,xxx on the clock now.. though the only thing with that many miles on
it is the steering box, frame, and body.. nothing else is original. ;-)

-Tom

Oh, and the Beverly Hillbilly imagery was probably completed even more -
I was wearing my Carhart canvas pants, and a flannel.. and my work
boots.  "Yep, must be a redneck..."