Re: rOLL bARS

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Daniel Nees wrote:

>    I can't attest to Smitty built roll bars, but if their other products
> are an indication I would avoid them.
>    I've seen the welds on thier brush gaurd disinigrate and another
> fellow in our club bought their Scout winch bumper that he had to
> completely redisign because it didn't fit at all.
>    They must make something right for a scout however.

I have a Smitty Bumper Thumper grille guard.. it fit just fine, though
the directions were bass ackwards (included 4 little bolts for attaching
it?? just use longer stock bumper bolts!).  It also didn't fit my 6"
round KCs, but it didn't report to either.. I fixed it by punching some
holes in the sides of the uprights. :-)

I also have two Smitty SC88 front rollcage kits in the garage.  I don't
know how hard it is to screw up three pieces of steel tube, with a total
of four bends.. ;-)  The "feet" plates seem small.. I'm replacing with
12x12"x1/4" plate. :-)  It's not a bolt-in though.. it's notch cut
weld-in.

-Tom