re-drilling springs

Hey all,

The other day I relocated the upper rear shock mounts on my 800 so the shocks
would no longer act as my bump stops. I get quite a bit more compression and
the ride over large bumps is a lot smoother now.

On to my problem. Today we went out and did a little four wheeling. With the
newly found extra articulation the rear tires are now rubbing hard at the rear
of the fenderwell. It has only been 8 months since the new paint job, so
cutting of the sheetmetal is somthing I would like to avoid.

I remember someone stating that they had redrilled the spring pack to relocate
the axle. Has anyone out there done this and put the modification to the test
by working the spring hard. This sounds like a nice easy solution to my
problem but if the spring will be more prone to failure I'll find another was
to skin this cat.

Thanks
Mike Meyer