Rough Running 304

Well, I got some work done on my '70 Scout 800 today.  It had an
electric fuel pump that I did away with, putting in a new mechanical
one.  It still runs by itself, but still runs very poorly.  I tried to
run the timing around, but it seems to run best right where it is.  This
is not saying much!
It seems to me like it is not sparking strongly enough, though I don't
know why I think I would know that!  It just seems like it is flooding,
though still barely running.  As it warms, I can let out the choke and
it still stays steady, but never runs RIGHT.  I am going to go with the
carb next, but wanted any outside input.
I thought maybe a new coil would make me feel better about the spark
power, but don't know much about the whole electrical system.  I have
already done all of the routine-tune up parts all changed.  It doesn't
seem like any distributor trouble I've had before, so I am kind of
laying off of that.
think the carb will help?

Michael