Re: Gearless Locker

> Are you talking about the Thorsen differential.  Been around for years,
> has some *very* interesting characteristics.  I'll try tofind a website to
> describe it.

I think you mean Torsen.  I don't know how this counts as gearless,
because it operates with worm gears, but anyway, check out:

http://www.mindspring.com/~audidudi/Torsen.htm

Which actually brings up a question I have.  I just now got the D-44 to
go in the front of my 800, which currently hase 3.53 gears and an open
carrier in it.  All the bearings and stuff are going to need a going
through anyway, and I'm going to have to replace the gears with 4.27 to
match the rear, so the owner of the local 4x4 shop thinks now would be
the time to put some kind of traction device in the front if I ever am
going to want one, which of course I will. 8^) He thinks the hot setup
for the front is the detroit truetrack, which he says is one of the
torsen type deals.

This the right one?  Anyone use one in the front?  How do you like it?
The whole reason I got the scout in the first place was because I moved
to snow country, so I don't really want to limit my ability to turn (w/o
white knuckles) in snow too much.  From what I hear a regular type
locker wouldn't help the steering much, but this torsen deal is supposed
to provide a lot more traction than a clutch type LSD.

Thanks for the input,

-Chris