Re: lift question and more....?!?

Daniel Nees wrote:

> Matt,
>    Personally, for mmore street driving and casual off-roading with
> 33's, I would go with a 4" spring lift and a body lift of at least 2".
> (I am going to go 3" for my 33's) Tom, is goint to tell you that you
> don't need to get a body lift to run 33's, but if you want to drive this
> all the time then you a body lift instead of cutting fenders off.

Huh?  I'd say for a pavement pounder, JUST a 3" body lift and 33s.  If
you decide you want more off-road fun, then add in the suspension lift
of whatever variety you want.

*OR* you have the choice of cutting sheet metal to fit the 33s.  If your
body mounts are in bad shape, or if you just don't like body lifts,
cutting is the only thing left... sadly, it's not a "simple" cut is all.

Now, Dan, the racer is getting cut.. and not all that pretty of cuts at
that.. but then again, it's a racer.

With the *practice* done on the racer, the '77 gets cut.. *AND
RESPLICED*.  That's the important part, Dan-o.  Cut the back half of the
rear wheel well out, cut the floor a few inches farther rearward, and
then weld in a new wheel housing.  *You can still drive it everyday* in
rain/snow/mud/whatever.

Or you can put a 4" suspension lift on your truck and lower the bump
stops 4" or so, do some *minor* wheel well trimming, and be fine... but
have you gained much over a 3" body lift?  Your check book will be
lighter...

Also, some minor trimming up front will be needed without a huge body
lift.  Nothing drastic.. just the front/lower lip of the fender needs at
a minimum trimmed and folded.  It's stock "L" shape will slice tires..
cut it and bend it into a "V" and you can *safely* rub.

Now, if we're talking 35s or 36s (which I do have plans for.. <VBG>)
things get a little uglier...

IMO of course.  YMMV

I have some pics of my 33s on my 4" lifted Scout II - in particular, the
rear suspension and how it rubs.

http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout/77build/first_test_of_33s.html

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'77 Scout II - wavering on the jump from mild to wild...