Re: More 800 parts questions

On Wed, 03 Feb 1999 12:25:53 -0500 "Chad Sibert" <csibert@domain.elided>
writes:
>I'm still looking for info on open face vs. closed face clutches (are
they
>interchangeable?), but I've come up with a couple other questions:
>
>Still looking for a 4spd transmission cross member ( haven't had any
luck
>finding someone who says they can straighten the old one).  Found one in
>2WD 800, it's nearly identical to the one I'm trying to replace, except
for
>the two "upside-down U" shaped pieces that are welded on each end of my
old
>one.  I'm thinking I might be able to cut these pieces off my old one
and
>weld them on to the 2WD crosspiece, any thoughts?
>
>Also, the 800As I've looked at have the crossmember attachment points on
the
>frame installed opposite of the those on the 800 (one faces down, the
other
>up).  Does this mean cross members are not interchangeable between 800s
and
>800A/800Bs?

I don't have any specific info on the crossmembers, but one thing to
check is that you are comparing 4 cyl. to 4 cyl. vehicles.  The 6 and
V-8's were almost a different chassis so it wouldn't surprise me if the
crossmembers and mounting were different than your 4.

I'm also thinking that an identical crossmember probably isn't important,
as long as you keep the rear of the transmission at the same height and
centered.  You could probably fabricate something out of channel and make
it work OK.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]