Towing Help Request

Please respond direct ...I'm anxious to get some answers.   Thanks!

Hi,
Towing question ...it has been the rage of late.  I think I misled a
few of you when I asked about driving a newly purchased Scout2
across country (probably from TX/AZ region to Indiana).  I was not
planning on actually driving my backyard Scout2 as I don't trust it
further than I can walk (which is OK for now ... not permanent ya'
know).

Towing 101.  Give me a couple of guidelines on safe towing vehicle
weight vs towed package weight rations (using a receiver ball hitch).
Example: Ford Ranger PU (V6/auto) towing a 1000#trailer (dual axle
weight guess) loaded with a Scout2 body and frame less drivetrain
(1000# guess) ...let's see, that's 3500# tow vehicle and a 2000# load
(sounds OK to me) BUT if I screwed up and the Ford weighs 3000#,
the trailer 1500# and the Scout hulk 2000# ...ummm, that could be
interesting.

Next.  What sort of load could I honestly and safely tow with a
196/T19/3.54 equipped Scout2?  This is not my rig ...but maybe what
I will end up with.  Could I tow (albeit slowly) say a 2000# load?
3000#? 4000#??  For all of you experienced towers, at what towed
weight do I start to notice the trailer (handling, braking, hilling)?

I have some friends who regularly tow their 27' sailboat and trailer
(total guess at 5500-6000#) with their standard issue Scout2
345/auto/3.54.  This sounds scary to me ...how does it to you?
It looks odd ...a 100 inch WB Scout chased by a huge sailboat!

Care to guess the average weight of a two axle steel open trailer (I
do not know, but curious) ...this thing is next to impossible to jog
around over the tow ball ...you have to back the vehicle up just
right and lower her down.

Thanks for you comments ...all of them!  Mark